[Gllug] Basic Linux Test

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Nov 9 15:13:21 UTC 2001

On Friday, 9 Nov 2001, David Damerell wrote:
[Linux quiz at
<http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=1780/urm0111c/0111c.htm> ]

I've asked around and gotten a few more bogosities from friends; so of
the 25 questions, 10 make false assumptions or are misleading. Cc:ed
to the author, given how very bad the quiz is.

>The answers to question 1 aren't in a normal /etc/exports format at
>all.

Question 2: inetd.conf doesn't define _how_; /etc/hosts.allow, .deny
or .conf do.
Question 3 assumes you are not using devfs.

>Question 5 can't happen, AFAIK; LILO will always be able to overwrite
>the MBR. fdisk /mbr has its uses, but this isn't one - also, they
>really ought to mention that this is MSDOS's fdisk.
>Question 6 is based on very old systems; these days everything prompts
>for the root password when starting in single-user mode. 'linux
>init=/bin/bash' or booting from a rescue floppy would do the trick.
>Question 9 is Red Hat specific. Naughty.

Question 10; pump is not often a good choice of DHCP client.

>Question 16 is distro specific; some distros have used 'apache.conf'
>as the default. In addition, the location listed in the answer is very
>distro-specific; Apache itself has no default location, since it is
>"designed to be configured and run from the same set of directories
>where it is compiled" (apache.org).
>Question 18 fails to take into account that everyone uses shadow
>passwords these days.
>Question 21 assumes that your shell is a sh derivative such as bash,
>and not a csh derivative; not a safe assumption - bash will nearly
>always be present, but you don't have to use it.

Question 23: 'kill -HUP' does not guarantee a kill of a process stuck
on I/O.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk