[Gllug] Email Formats

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Nov 23 11:26:28 UTC 2001

On 11/23/01, 10:53:51 AM, "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] Email Formats:

> Though to be fair I think the odd <em> isn't going to bother anyone -
> it's the reams of redundant font, colour etc. tags that are
> auto-generated by some email clients. Maybe email clients should be able
> to cope with html in a better way, but there's still the bandwidth
> argument. Still, at least it's better than the people who send a massive
> Word attachment just for a two line note.

Mind you, I'd miss the amusement factor if OE and Outlook disappeared.
Some of the bugs are just hilariously stupid.  In my weaker moments I
used to piss off OE users on mailing lists or ngs by starting a line with
begin and two spaces:

begin  and they wouldn't be able to see the rest of the message because
OE would mistake it for the name of a non-existent attachment.  Not that
I ever hand-coded an html message with a link to file://c:/con/con in i
t.  That would have been very nasty for any Win98 users who clicked on it
and a nono.  Putting in a javascript function to redirect any innocuous
link in the message to file://c:/con/con would have been unforgiveable, e
ven if it did demonstrate the foolishness of adding html to e-mail.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk