[Gllug] Email Formats

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 22 18:39:24 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 22 Nov 2001, Stephen Harker wrote:
>I don't wish to be rude, but its just this sort of circular rambling
>that has put companies like Microsoft so far ahead of everyone else.

That's an odd thing to say when you're basically advocating the point
of view that we should bend over and take whatever Bill Gates wants to
give us. _That's_ what puts Microsoft ahead of everyone else.

>You have a choice. Live with your choices. If you choose to use a
>console email client and gripe about all the html then that is YOUR
>choice. The other 98% of email users are using e-mail clients that
>render html email in a readable way and that is their choice.

And, apparently, 76% of statistics are made up on the spur of the
moment.

[Also, this makes the bogus assumption already dismissed earlier that
only people whose email clients can't deal with HTML email will
gripe. Not true.]

>and reading it in elm or something. Perhaps not. HTML mail isn't
>going to go away. That is a certainty.

It certainly can be suppressed, though, as we can see from the example
of Usenet, where outside of Microsoft-specific newsgroups posting in
HTML is largely under control. There's no reason we can't do the same
for email, where the affliction is mostly restricted to corporates at
the moment.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk