[Gllug] services

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Nov 23 13:30:59 UTC 2001

On 11/23/01, 11:49:57 AM, will <will at hellacool.co.uk> wrote regarding Re:
[Gllug] services:

> > I can't remember the xdm one.

> Darn, I get the feeling this the one I need.  I will have another root
> around.

Try running ps -ax.  If you see xdm in the list, that's the one.

There are 3 things you can do:

1.  Turn off XDMCP - the chooser protocol which is used for negotiation
between clients and x daemons.  This can be done by running xdm with
-udpPort 0.  You'll have to edit the xdm init-script for that.

2.  Use the /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess file (exact location may vary) to
control which hosts can connect.

3.  It is the X server itself, rather than xdm, which runs the tcp
connection once negotiated.  So if you stop the X server from listening
to tcp requests that is enough.  This is done in the Xservers file
(/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers on this debian box), which contains the line to
invoke the server.  Mine includes the parameter -nolisten tcp.

And have a firewall that blocks unwanted connections, of course.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk