[Gllug] Another Quick Mutt question

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Sat Nov 24 14:57:10 UTC 2001

* Nix <nix at esperi.demon.co.uk> spake thus:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Stig Brautaset stipulated:
> > Enter the mh-folder, enter the magical command
> >
> > 	$ cat * > mbox
>
> This is why I love mh (and similar things, like Gnus's nnml, which is
> basically mh with a news overview file); the ability to use the whole
> Unix toolbox on your mail :)
>
> > and voila, something that seems remarkably like an mbox-format folder
> > appears (someone will probably tell me that it is indeed *not* an
> > mbox-folder, but it has always worked for me anyway).
>
> Is a From at the start of a line still quoted correctly?

Hm, didn't think of that, but yes, it is. Since it is originally
delivered to a mbox-format mailbox in /var/spool/mail/stig by my MTA,
and then only subsequently split to mh-folders by procmail.

You can of course turn this feature off in the MTA if you are using
Maildir (or, as you say mh-folders) directly, in which case you might
take some caution and filter the mail trough procmail like this:

	$ cat * | procmail -m escape_from_rc

where escape_from_rc looks like this:

## file starts here
MAILDIR=$HOME		# put the new folder in ~
LOGFILE=mh_to_mbox_log	# create a logfile as well
VERBOSE=yes		# log verbose info
DEFAULT=from_mh_folder_to_mbox

:0 bfW:
| sed -e 's/^From />From /'
## file ends here

Somehow, I think Nix already knew this, but others might find it useful.
No guarantee that this works is provided as it is not tested ;-)

Regards,
Stig

--
brautaset.org