[Gllug] X stop working after Ximian red-carpet update

Darren Evans devans at presscentre.net
Tue Nov 20 03:08:17 UTC 2001

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 12:43:46AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 07:28:09PM +0000, Darren Evans wrote:
> > It says the module does not exists even though modules.conf has not
> > changed.
>
> Wrong type of module.  XFree86 4.x has replaced the old module of a
> separate server for each type of card to a generic server which loads a
> module to match the card type (and there are also modules for specific X
> features).  So none of the things you listed at the beginning are
> relevant.  This is an X config problem.

Turned out the files extracted from the RPM were missing/corrupt,
whether Ximian corrupted them or not, I don't know.

Sorry, yes X module, i got confused there, that was what was
missing.

I highly recommend knowing something like

rpm -Vqsv installedrpm

This can save so much time, it's unreal.

regards,
Darren

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk