[Gllug] thin desktops for X ... flwm http://blackbox.alug.org/

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 02:00:20 UTC 2001

On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 00:39, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 11:23:32PM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > No, it's documented. AFAIR from talking to Brad Hughes (the initiator of
> > bb) the GNOME hints are left out because of bad design by the GNOME
> > people. (It's worth noticing that Brad works for Troll Tech. ...)
>
> He wouldn't be the only person to criticise the Gnome hints system.  The
> Window Maker developers and others are fairly sniffy about it as well.
> The general substance of the comments I've seen is that it's a random
> mess rather than something properly planned.

That might be true, but my experience with the Window Maker developers
was that they were completely unwilling to accept anything that didn't
fit their world view, so I'd take the attitude with a pinch of salt.
Some time ago, there were a largish number of users of the Window Maker
lists asking for proper pager support, and for the ability to mouse
between workspaces. The response from the developers verged on the
abusive, and a set of patches that provided some of the functionality
was never integrated, for no reason better than "we don't like it, so
you're not even having the option".

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk