[Gllug] Office software

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 11:30:37 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alain Williams" <addw at phcomp.co.uk>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Office software

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 10:53:12AM +0100, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> > Star Office and Open Office both kill my laptop - brick/paperweight
> > dead.  I am not sure where to start giving bug reports ;-).
>
> Yes. We (the Linux comminity) make claims that Linux runs on old/small
hardware.
> This can be true for server type apps, but not for modern desktop stuff.
> Gnome eats memory and open/closes hundreds of files for no apparent
reason - slow.

This is a pain.  At home I have an AMD K2500 with a 32Mb gfx card and 430Mb
ram and KDE runs like a dog on it, Gnome is little better.  Comparitively
the win98 desktop really does fly.  I have an old 486 with 20Mb of ram which
used to run win95 quite successfully.  Running even the most basic Linux WM
on that really make it unuseable (I don't as it is a server, but I have
tried it just to see).

> IMHO: gnome/kde developers should be forced to use 100MHz pentiums with 32
Mb ram.
> We would soon see a rapid drop in machine resources needed.

Yay!  Why KDE needs a good 8 seconds to start up a terminal window I don't
know.  Does anyone know *why* linux desktops are so damned slow?

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk