FISH and KDE (was Re: [Gllug] Office software)

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Nov 19 11:37:55 UTC 2001

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 10:05:47PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Simon Stewart stated:
> > OTOH, I just added the FISH KIO-slave, and suddenly the entire
> > environment can make use of SSH. Which is v. cool. :)
>
> Does SSH here mean the secure shell? If so, I can't parse this sentence
> at all :)

Errmm... Perhaps the wording could have done with some re-adjustment,
but it does make sense when you find out that FISH connects to the
remote host using SSH (the command, and by definition, the protocol)
and uses ls, chmod, rm, etc. and parses the text output (unless Perl
is availble, which it uses in preference)

IMHO, it's one of the things that KDE has been crying out for because
it allows you to work with remote files far more securely than was
previously possible. Having it as a KIO-Slave rather than an external
program (RBrowser on OS X springs to mind) means that rather than
simply be a glorified file managing program, the whole of the KDE can
use it. It's nice being able to hit "C-o" and then type
"fish://server/" and get the dialogue box to do all the graphical
frippery one associates with the KDE in some random program.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"We were informed that the user interface was exactly the same as being at
 the desktop, but using our visual senses we detected a somewhat different

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk