[Gllug] google down?

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Tue Nov 13 01:34:16 UTC 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> Simon Stewart(sms at lateral.net)@Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:48:49PM +0000:
> >
> > [1] Each user was meant to use at most 20MB or so, but if the disks
> >     weren't full you could get away with more. Indeed, if the disks
> >     were filling up, it was fine to go over for a short time (couple
> >     of days or so) May have got the storage space wrong,
> >     there. *shrugs*
>
> when i was at uni, we had a 20 meg quota on our home dirs aswell.
> fortunately, /var/spool/mail wasnt.  i ended up having a *lot* of really
> big attachments :-)

ISTR that /tmp was out-of-quota for us.  We had a number of servers, and
home directories came from a couple of big fileservers, but /tmp was a local
real (not RAMfs or equivalent) filesystem on each server which got cleaned
out whenever it got busy.  Meant you could, for example, compile something
up in /tmp and install it in your home dir without having space for the
built tree in your quota.  I managed to get my quota upped a couple of times
because my final year project had some big datasets :-)

We used the xdm chooser to login, but there were a number of machines (most
of them newer and better than the student machines) which didn't advertise
X, but which we could login to just fine.  We could just rlogin in (or even
use the on command) to one of the 'hidden' machines and do things which
weren't allowed on the public machines, like running Netscape 4 for example
- because it was too big to run on shared machines.

The public machines were named after rivers, the fileservers after oceans,
and the 'hidden' machines after seas of the moon.  swale is the student
machine I remember best, and tranquility was the only one of the 'hidden'
machines anyone could ever remember :-)

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk