[Gllug] MySQL replication over ssh tunnel using sockets?

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Wed Nov 7 01:03:06 UTC 2001

I have been reading lots about this since I want to set it up and have
one question which I can't find an answer to.  I have a server here that
I want to replicate a server hosted at our ISP, MySQL can be configured
to do all this.  I understand ssl support is new so want to reduce risk
of problems occurring and use ssh tunnel to connect the two.

Can I do MySQL replication over ssh tunnel using sockets?  At the moment
MySQL is set up not to listen on TCP/IP and use sockets to connect which
is fine since the web server and database are on the same box.  I don't
know enough about how sockets work.

>From what I have found I can only port forward via ssh so will have to
turn on listen to TCP/IP.  My issue is (purely due to lack of knowledge)
does this open up more security risks since I have another port open to
the world.  We already only allow connect via localhost (which will be
the same over ssh from what I can see), is this ok or is there anything
else I should consider?

Thanks
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk