[Gllug] new railtrack screens

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 18:47:36 UTC 2001

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 15:12, Paul Brazier wrote:
> > i cant beleive theyd have one box per screen because they
> > queue, ie: the
> > leftmost screen usually holds the next train to go, when it goes the
> > screens all shuffle along... it would be *horrible* to do that using
> > separate boxes!
> >
> > they also have similar screens on the platforms and summary screens
> > elsewhere in the station... there must be about 30-40 screens at
> > reading... imagine 30-40 screen licenses for NT <shudder>
>
> I saw people fixing those screens you get in Sainsbury's to collect
> those free points customer loyalty things. I thought they'd be some
> custom built device but inside the cabinet there's a standard monitor
> and a PC minitower type box.

Yeah, most computery things are just plain pc's with a fancy case.  EPOS
systems for supermarkets for example, are generally just pc's with
parallel port driven displays and rs232 barcode scanners attached,and a
keyboard with an interesting keyboard map.

I was quite shocked to find people paying over 4k for a base unit.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk