[Gllug] new railtrack screens

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 08:45:41 UTC 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Paul Brazier yowled:
> I saw people fixing those screens you get in Sainsbury's to collect
> those free points customer loyalty things. I thought they'd be some
> custom built device but inside the cabinet there's a standard monitor
> and a PC minitower type box.

Even dedicated banking cryptoprocessors are just PCs in a safe --- the
*work* is done by a thoroughly tamperproof card in the PC.

Since ISA died PCs aren't a terribly bad interfacing box for random
hardware anymore; PCI fixes its most gross problems, and it's *cheap*
(which matters; you want to spend money on the hardware you care about
and get a cheap box to tie that hardware together).

--
`You're the only person I know who can't tell the difference
 between a pair of trousers and a desk.' --- Kieran, to me

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk