[Gllug] UK hit by major ADSL outage

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 21 13:00:28 UTC 2001

Tapping a phone line isn't that hard... Actually if you wanted to get really
evil I'm sure a fistful of cash would buy you sufficient hardware for a
really nifty <non-gender-specific-entity>-in-the-middle attack.

Anyway, people like passwords, it makes them feel secure. There's probably
also a billing thing if/when metered access becomes an issue for ADSL. In
that case you could have multiple logins over one physical point. I always
get nervous about breaking down the physical/abstract divide; a phone line
and an access account are not the same thing. To unify different concepts
seems a bit, well, uncomfortable for me.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk