[Gllug] A Couple of Conceptual Questions

Dylan Brewis dylan at shinyboots.org.uk
Fri Nov 23 18:05:20 UTC 2001

On Friday 23 November 2001 11:05 am, you wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 Nov 2001, Dylan Brewis wrote:
> >Is it safe/advisable/common practice to mount a directory again in the
> > same file system? e.g. /a and /b are both in the same mounted filesystem.
> > /a is mounted into (onto?) /b/c, so that (I asume) /a and /b/c are
> > physically identical.
>
> Ummma. I think you need to be more clear; give us an example with
> devices and stuff?

Yes, it is a bit cryptic, eh? Put it down to the late hour and one too many
whiskys!

This is what I want to set up:

On a network of 3 machines, each machine has a local home directory, but the
users need to occasionally log on to another. Is it safe to mount the local
home directory (which resides on its own on hda2) onto /localhome and then
use autofs to mount /localhome/<user> into /home/<user> along with the other
two from NFS? Both /localhome and /home would be mounted (or exist) in /.

What would happen if such a scheme led to recursion?

Cheers
Dylan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk