[Gllug] Playing with /etc/fstab

Colin Murphy colin at ql4ever.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 09:39:30 UTC 2001

Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:

> I've recently acquired a copy of the installation disks for Mandrake 8.1 and am tempted to try it on my PC at home (currently running Mandrake 8.0). That machine has two disks - hda contains the root partition for Linux and the root partitions for Win98, hdb contains /home, /usr and various Windows data partitions.
>
> I'm assuming, based on what I've read, that if I can do this without affecting what's on hdb at all - if I don't tell it about any of the partitions on there, they'll be left out of /etc/fstab and just plain ignored.

This seems to be correct, my Man 8.1 install hasn't made entries for
partitions, but that may be because I did an expert partition.  I know
that SuSe did make fstab entries for all directories on all drives by
default.

> Secondly, if I want to access, say, the old /home partition I could add an entry to /etc/fstab to say something like:
>
> /dev/hdbX      /homeold     ext2     defaults 2 0
>
> (I can't remember what section of hdb it's on - also I suspect I should know more about the defaults 1 1 bit... is there information somewhere that is a little less cryptic than man fstab?)

Print out a copy of your current /etc/fstab, this puts my mind at rest
when doing this.  I normally do this by using the graphical partiton
manager, so, yes, you can do this.

> Do I sound like I'm on the path to knowledge or the road to ruin?

It does put your nerves on edge when you have to commit the whole thing.

Colin Murphy - colin at ql4ever.demon.co.uk
A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk