[Gllug] Playing with /etc/fstab

Formi rcarrera at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 14:15:45 UTC 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:

> I've recently acquired a copy of the installation disks for Mandrake 8.1 and am tempted to try it on my PC at home (currently running Mandrake 8.0). That machine has two disks - hda contains the root partition for Linux and the root partitions for Win98, hdb contains /home, /usr and various Windows data partitions.
>
> hda is on a removable disk caddy - what I'd like to do is put an alternative disk in there, install Mandrake 8.1, and play with it for a while. If I like it, I'll do another install on a dual booting disk with a more thought out partioning scheme.
>
> I'm assuming, based on what I've read, that if I can do this without affecting what's on hdb at all - if I don't tell it about any of the partitions on there, they'll be left out of /etc/fstab and just plain ignored.
>
> Secondly, if I want to access, say, the old /home partition I could add an entry to /etc/fstab to say something like:
>
> /dev/hdbX      /homeold     ext2     defaults 2 0
>
> (I can't remember what section of hdb it's on - also I suspect I should know more about the defaults 1 1 bit... is there information somewhere that is a little less cryptic than man fstab?)
>
> Do I sound like I'm on the path to knowledge or the road to ruin?
>
> Wulf

 Mandrake 8.1 uses devfs, so you may have a look at that.

 Part of my /etc/fstab included. I use reiserfs but check line 2.

                                              Formi

/dev/sda7 / reiserfs defaults 1 1
/dev/sda5 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/sda9 /home reiserfs defaults 1 2
/dev/fd0	/mnt/floppy	vfat sync,nosuid,noauto,user,nodev,unhide	 0 0
/dev/hda1	/mnt/win_c	vfat user,exec,nodev,nosuid,rw,noauto,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/dev/hda5	/mnt/win_d	vfat user,exec,nodev,nosuid,rw,noauto,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda6 /usr reiserfs defaults 1 2
/dev/sda8 /var reiserfs defaults 1 2
/dev/sdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0