[Gllug] Large mail files was -> RedHat

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Sat Nov 3 11:51:46 UTC 2001

> I've seen people elsewhere with 80Mb mbox files. It's sick, and using
> them is *s-l-o-w*, but it does work --- assuming your locking is OK;
if
> it's fscked then a big file is more likely to get smashed
> simply because the associated race windows are larger for bigger
files.

So what's the best way to go about having large amounts of mail stored?
I basically keep everything as it is very useful to refer back to what a
customer asked me 12 months ago and what I replied.  Ok so I'm using
outlook now, archiving regularly and opening the relevant archive when
required (I also have them burnt to CD).  I hope to have time in
December to complete my move to full time use of Linux and aiming to use
"mutt" as my mail client (I like everything I have read about it so far
and will be nice an fast on P133 laptop I will have rather than a full
GUI).

I have played with Mozzila and it happily converts everything to mbox
for me so the conversion of old mail will not be that painful.  If I'm
going to keep large amounts of mail what is the best strategy?  I have
seen mention on the list about maildir (mutt supports this), is this the
best way to go?  I assume there are utilities to archive older messages
into separate files etc?  I just haven't had time to look into all this
yet so others advice and pointers to the right places to look would be
helpful.

I want to play with an IMAP server as well at some stage, too little
time and so much to learn.

By the way M$ say pst max file size is supposed to be 2GB, 32k items,  I
find that over 50Mb and I'm starting to have problems.

Thanks
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk