[Gllug] Large mail files was -> RedHat

Walid walidshaari at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 12:49:47 UTC 2001

mbox files have been used, and will still be in use for time to come, why I
have chosen Maildir for our servers is because I read that following article :

http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html

I have seen also some bench marks where mbox is superior scaling, and
performance wise as one disadvantage of maildir is that they eat your inodes
more quickly!

hth

Walid

 --- Steve Nicholson <steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com> wrote: > > I've seen
people elsewhere with 80Mb mbox files. It's sick, and using
> > them is *s-l-o-w*, but it does work --- assuming your locking is OK;
> if
> > it's fscked then a big file is more likely to get smashed
> > simply because the associated race windows are larger for bigger
> files.
>
> So what's the best way to go about having large amounts of mail stored?
> I basically keep everything as it is very useful to refer back to what a
> customer asked me 12 months ago and what I replied.  Ok so I'm using
> outlook now, archiving regularly and opening the relevant archive when
> required (I also have them burnt to CD).  I hope to have time in
> December to complete my move to full time use of Linux and aiming to use
> "mutt" as my mail client (I like everything I have read about it so far
> and will be nice an fast on P133 laptop I will have rather than a full
> GUI).
>
> I have played with Mozzila and it happily converts everything to mbox
> for me so the conversion of old mail will not be that painful.  If I'm
> going to keep large amounts of mail what is the best strategy?  I have
> seen mention on the list about maildir (mutt supports this), is this the
> best way to go?  I assume there are utilities to archive older messages
> into separate files etc?  I just haven't had time to look into all this
> yet so others advice and pointers to the right places to look would be
> helpful.
>
> I want to play with an IMAP server as well at some stage, too little
> time and so much to learn.
>
> By the way M$ say pst max file size is supposed to be 2GB, 32k items,  I
> find that over 50Mb and I'm starting to have problems.
>
> Thanks
> Steve.
>

> --

=====

walid at melinux.com
http://www.MeLinux.com

"Learn whatever knowledge you wish to acquire, and act upon what you have learned."

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk