[Gllug] updating red hat

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Nov 9 11:17:59 UTC 2001

Darren Evans(devans at presscentre.net)@Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 03:46:04AM +0000:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 03:36:02PM +0000, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >
> > >When is Red Hat going to start using gcc 3, and why have they not yet?
> >
> > It's shipped in RH7.2. They won't start using by default it until 8.0,
> > because to do so would break their long standing and well publicised
> > commitment to keep binary compatibility between major version numbers.
>
> I noticed gcc 3 RPM's were on cd2 of Redhat 7.2 but not installed when
> looking into compiling mplayer.
>
> Has anyone done the gcc 2.x to gcc 3.x rpm upgrade?  Is it seamless,
> or are there issues?

I'm running MandrakeCooker, from somewhere after 8.2, and i've got 3
different gcc's installed.  all from RPMS.  none conflict with each
other, they each have a different name:

 kgcc ( 2.91.66 )
 gcc ( 2.96 )
 gcc-3.0.1

i use which ever i need to be invoking the correct name or by setting
$CC, etc

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk