[Gllug] Duplicate debian setup

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Tue Nov 6 16:46:13 UTC 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 04:38:26PM -0000, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> > 3) Take the disk out of my work PC and make a direct copy.
>
> Use multiCD to copy the whole FS to CD's (assuming you have a CD-burner
> on PC at work or access to one, you can probably set it up just to
> create ISO's then move them to box with burner).  Then boot home PC with
> normal install CD, partition disk the same as work one a and copy all
> files from work PC CD's to new partitions.  Reboot and use rescue
> root=/dev/root-partition-used, run lilo and it should work.  Need to
> partition home disc to same as work one. From what I remember multiCD
> doesn't do ISO images they are ext2 this wont be a problem since it's
> Linux to Linux.

Thanks for the advice, but 2 questions:

Why does the home disk have to partitioned in the same way as the work
machine (apart from the obvious "you'll need to edit /etc/fstab" and
rerun lilo)?

What advantage does this method have over splitting an archive of the
files I care about and simply recreating it at home? The home machine
has a hard drive big enough to fit the work machines 3 times over....

Still looks like one of the best ideas so far. Quite keen on
downloading the .debs and burning those to CD to avoid the cruft
that's accumalated around my system as it evolved to be the comfy
place it is now.... :)

Cheers,

Simon

--
book about object-oriented design methodology, and bang your forehead
with it for the next six months or so.  -- Perl 5 "perlobj" man page

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk