[Gllug] Gates preaches to the NHS converted

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 00:04:33 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 18:58, Jim Bailey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> once again M$ shows why it is number 1 in the the software stakes, it
> knows how to sell.
>
> Rather than nashing and grinding of teeth in the wilderness isn't there
> anybody out there with the understanding and experience in this sort of
> work to at least give The NHS a written alternative to the .NET solution
> and give these non technical managers some ammunition eg.
>
> I understand Mr Gates the need for M$ on the desktop given issues of user
> familiarity with your GUI and the associated costs of retraining but could
> you explain to me why we should pay for NT server solutions and the
> associated client side costs?
>
> I understand that Office XP is the most advanced productivity suite on the
> market but could you prove to me that it is cheaper to use it rather than
> a team of software developer working on Openoffice to increase its
> functionality and the cost being shared across the NHS or even europe.
>
> Demand that your health service justify spending on these solutions
> compared to an alternative.
>
> This meeting is either a cosy stitch up in which case it is a scandal and
> we should scream blue murder until enough of the general public understand
> what is going on or M$ are making a genuine sales pitch to the NHS in
> which case the alternatives should also be heard.

I think you mean screen blue murder :D

All joking aside its a shame that no linuxy companies have done anything
like this, the same goes for in education, my mum's school just got
their new super improved multimedia server in  last week and its shi*e.
The equipment has way too  much bloat. If it was running linux it would
be at  least able to 'serve' most of the time it just sits dorment in
the corner,  and not only that. The cost saving  of not paying for an ms
license could mean the pupils actually get books to read.

Oh well.

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk