[Gllug] Office software -> c/c++ debate

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Sat Nov 17 00:05:12 UTC 2001

* Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> spake thus:
> On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 14:17, Russell Mackenzie wrote:
> > As an asp and vb developer (who wishes he could work with php and python
> > instead) with minimal c/c++ skills, how the hell am I supposed to decide
> > which I should learn? I've read numerous 'debates' discussing the pros/cons
> > of c/c++, these usually get too technical, and I'm no closer to deciding...
> > help?
>
> You should learn C. I believe even Bjarne Stroustrup said that C++ was
> aimed at experienced C programmers with a good understanding of the
> language. Even should you never write code in C, and go stright on to
> C++, I think it makes sense to start in C.

In "the C++ programming Language" Bjarne actually says, in section 1.2,
that,
	"In the continuating debate on whether one needs to learn C
	before C++, I am fairly convinced that it is best to go directly
	to C++."

Myself, I am a beginner in C, and a mere noveice in C++, but I find the
syntax in C much cleaner and simpler than the one in C++. Might be I'm
just a weirdo though. That's my flatmates' opinion anyway ;-)

> Also bear in mind that if you wish to contribute to open source
> projects, there's a hell of a lot more C than C++ out there.

Seconded.

Regards,
Stig

--