[Gllug] Email Formats

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 08:50:17 UTC 2001

On 21 Nov 2001, Alex Hudson muttered drunkenly:
> On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 15:27, tet at accucard.com wrote:
>> >Being able to cut-and-paste sensibly with a wordprocessor is also
>> >extremely important, and again, I can't do that with text.
>>
>> Huh?
>
> Before asking, try it, really. It doesn't work. (nb. I said 'sensibly' -
> that means, retains important formatting, doesn't require major
> reformatting to get rid of tabs, bad line breaks, etc. etc.)

Let me get this straight. You are using a text editor that can't
cut-and-paste?

*boggle*

Every text editor I've ever seen can do this. vi can do this. Emacs can
do this standing on one leg. Hell, even pico can do this.

Get a better text editor.

>> Plus, what's stopping you from right justifying text? True, you don't know
>> how wide the terminal is, but you can assume 80 columns without problems.
>
> I can assume 80 columns? When rfc 2822 recommends a 78 column max.? :)

You should probably assume 72.

> I'd really like to see you attempt to right-justify something without
> HTML email - if it survives more than two quotings at 80 columns wide,
> I'll buy you a pint.

I'd like to see your typographical reason for wanting to send
right-justified text through email; if you're trying to work on
marked-up stuff with someone, you should be sending the markup *source*;
if you're trying to show off the look of something, send it in
PostScript; any decent mailer (i.e., not Outlook, but Outlook barely
counts as an MUA, off there in its own little terribly impoverished
world in which even contextual quoting is well-nigh impossible) can view
the result.

> Seriously, I know it's not very fashionable to like HMTL email, but I do
> have very real requirements which HMTL email solves.

You haven't made them very clear. HTML email causes me nothing but grief
(and a good bit of wasted bandwidth, too...)

--
`Many people have tried whispering in his ear, and indeed bellowing
 with megaphones but up to now he's seemed to be completely

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk