[Gllug] Email Formats

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Nov 22 15:38:38 UTC 2001

On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 08:50, Nix wrote:
> > Before asking, try it, really. It doesn't work. (nb. I said 'sensibly' -
> > that means, retains important formatting, doesn't require major
> > reformatting to get rid of tabs, bad line breaks, etc. etc.)
>
> Let me get this straight. You are using a text editor that can't
> cut-and-paste?

I really don't understand why you fail to grasp the point, which I've
made twice. I'm NOT saying I can't cut and paste - I AM saying that no
browser/mua combo I know of can do this sensibly. For example, if I copy
some text that is bold from a good browser into a good MUA, it stays
bold. I don't know of any browser which will convert <b>a bold
statement</b> into *a bold statement*.

> right-justified text through email; if you're trying to work on
> marked-up stuff with someone, you should be sending the markup *source*;

The markup source is the HTML. Hence....

> if you're trying to show off the look of something, send it in
> PostScript

Uneditable in any mua I have.

> > Seriously, I know it's not very fashionable to like HMTL email, but I do
> > have very real requirements which HMTL email solves.
>
> You haven't made them very clear. HTML email causes me nothing but grief
> (and a good bit of wasted bandwidth, too...)

I've made them several times, very clearly. Agree or not, I don't care,
but the world has uses for tables in emails (for example), people need
HTML mail functionality, and that's why it's so successful.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk