[Gllug] Re: bad blocks

Iain Nicholson iain at delphinus.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 23:42:32 UTC 2001

Just to let you know, I've had bad block troubles from my (2-year old)
Quantum hard drive. I'm running 2.2.19 with ext2 on UDMA33.

I've also had intermittent problems on my DVD ROM and CDRW very
occasionally.

I've just about traced it to a motherboard IDE controller problem. I
bought a new drive and had some Ooopses and panics when mke2fs'ing it and
running badblocks. I tried it on my old P166 machine and it worked fine.

I have ordered a UDMA 100 PCI card and will try things with that.

To sum up: I doubt the problem is with the filesystem driver, it might be
a hardware fault developing.

Iain

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk