[Gllug] More Microsoft FUD

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Nov 7 19:20:00 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 16:53, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> "Linux supports only 960 megabytes (MG), of RAM - with support for
>  additional memory requiring recompiling and adding patches"
>
> I'm sure your server appliance developers will have a lot of trouble
> running make config and turning large memory support on.  Of course
> they'll have no problem with Microsoft's device driver API.

The pro-MS argument here is that Win2K Pro/Server support up to 4G,
whereas you can completely reinstall your machine entirely with
AdvServer and get 8G.

Seeing as Linux supports 64G, and we (Server Appliance Developers)
routinely recompile the kernel to handle only the specific feature set
we need, this strikes me as easier than having to reinstall the entire
operating system...

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk