[Gllug] Large mail files was -> RedHat

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Nov 5 17:09:49 UTC 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 04:59:27PM +0000, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >Can live ext2 be converted to Journalling FS ok (taking necessary
> >backup precautions in case of problems obviously).  Is Resiser FS
> >ok to go with now or is there another I should be looking at?
>
> ext3 or probably the one for you. Not only can you convert your
> existing ext2 filesystem, but you can convert it back again should
> you decide you don't like ext3.

ext3 being just ext2 with journalling, you would miss out on the
small-file advantages that reiserfs offers, though, which can
be particularly useful for mail servers as they commonly hold many
small files.

I do not know how your chosen IMAP server stores the emails, if it
does so one-per-file then a folder with thousands of emails would be
a real dog under ext2 or ext3.