[Gllug] OT: Solaris & DNS

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 13:52:03 UTC 2001

Lee Blackwell wrote:

> Sussed it.  The domain and search lines in resolv.conf aren't both
> required, but there is definately something screwy with multiple search
> lines.
>
> For example:
>
> search eur.3com.com
> nameserver 1.1.1.1
>
> Works just fine, but:
>
> search eur.3com.com
> search 3com.com
> nameserver 1.1.1.1
>
> doesn't work.
>
> If I swap the lines around so that my local domain (and where the short
> name of my host resides) is first:
>
> search 3com.com
> search eur.3com.com
> nameserver 1.1.1.1
>
> Everything works again.

You should only have the one "search" directive, e.g.:

search eur.3com.com 3com.com

and the "domain" and "search" are mutually exclusive. The first name
listed on the "search" directive is the default domain. You can list up
to 6 names.

In edition 3 of "DNS & Bind" (I don't have edition 4 handy) this is
covered on pp 104-105.

My Solaris 8 system doesn't have a "domain" and the search list works,
but it only has one entry so I can't say for certain that Sun have
implemented this properly.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk