[Gllug] Gates, self proclaimed father of open-source

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Nov 9 19:44:07 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 12:54:15PM -0500, SteveC wrote:
> * Paul Brazier (pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk) wrote:
> > The free market doesn't work as it is supposed to under a monopoly. It
> > may not be stealing in the legal sense but it still is stealing in my
> > opinion.
>
> Ok I'm gonna have to say something dangerous - MS doesn't hold a monopoly
> because its evil, its because they make products that work for most people
> most of the time.

Microsoft have a monopoly because nobody understood how powerful their
monopoly position would make them.  Nobody realised how big the PC would
be, certainly not IBM when they gave Billg the incredible exclusive
contract that let him keep the rights to the OS.

MS eventually learned to make competent and even good products but they
made crap products for a very long time and still made a fortune.
That's how monopolies work.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.