[Gllug] RedHat

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 13:31:42 UTC 2001

> Hi all
>
> After the nightmare I had yesterday with redhat I have finally
> managed to demonstrate it to several people (none of this is official
> and IT do not know about it) and the general consensus was one of
> Disbelief and quotes like

Good work.

> How can I read my Outlook mail using this (to which I have no idea)

An MS exchange server will do POP and IMAP so pretty much any mail
client can be made to work with it. Or you can use fetchmail to bring
down mail from it to a local mail-spool. As to converting mail that has
already been downloaded I have no idea. It wouldn't suprise me at all
if outlook stored it's mail in some binary format just to be difficult.
<does quick web search>
http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19970709-1.html
Aha, you can export outlook mailboxes to .mbx format which should then
be fairly easy to convert to standard maildir.

Plenty of info on http://www.linuxdoc.org about multiboot machines

> Is it compatible with MSOffice
Star/OpenOffice is supposed to be pretty good at dealing with MS file
formats. KOffice also has filters for MS. However I haven't played with
either of these recently.

HTH,
Huw

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk