[Gllug] Changing machine's IP address

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 09:47:55 UTC 2001

> Specify them in ifcfg-eth0, just as you do with IP address. Or are you
> asking what they should be? If so, you can get this information from
> whoever allocated you the IP address (or they're both derivable from
> the size of the subnet, if you know that). Remember you'll
> need to know
> the default gateway for your new subnet, too, otherwise your box isn't
> going to be communicating with much else...

Thanks! I think we have the relevant info.
(It would be embarrassing to get home only to find we couldn't access
the server remotely - do these places have terminals that you can use to
double check your setup is OK while you're there?)

> >I thought about changing the IP address now to test it out but would
> >that cause problems with DNS lookups and things?
>
> No, it should be fine. The chances are that you won't be able to see
> anything else on the network until you move it to your colo location,
> but you can check that the IP address comes up OK. Just change
> /etc/sysconfig/network and ifcfg-eth0 as appropriate and then do
>
> 	service network restart
>
> and check the settings with "ifconfig -a" and "netstat -rn".
>
> Tet
>
> PS. For the debian people, ifcfg-eth0 is a RedHat-ism.
>
> --

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk