[Gllug] Public IPs - When are they appropriate

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Nov 15 11:12:34 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 10:30 pm, you wrote:
> IPv6 also has a class of single per-machine addresses that are sent to
> the most convenient interface, so that might get rid of multiple IP
> addresses per machine.

I think (and I cannot be sure, this is hazy memory!!) that you _can_ do
multiple IPs per machine, using non-EUI-48 derived host portions (i.e., the
middle 16 is not fffe).

> NAT has _perceived_ security benefits, so not much chance of killing that.

Indeed. Hopefully a good definition of site-local addressing (ipv6 doesn't
have private ranges per se) will see that go; but nobody seems to be
supporting it at the moment...

> Service/port tuples; well, I disagree, but no doubt if I argue the
> issue old Mr. Top Poster will have a wedgie again...

:-) Obviously you need to be able to locate a service against some port, I
just don't think fixing it via allocated numbers is a particularly clever way
of doing it. HTTP/1.1 and associated SSL problems show it's bunk, as far as
I'm concerned. But then, if you search the Gllug archive you'll find
somewhere my proposed DNS solution which solves everything and would rock the
world :)

Cheers,
					Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk