[Gllug] Installing software on Raq3

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Nov 15 11:23:39 UTC 2001

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 07:41:07PM -0000, Darran D. Rimron-Molloy wrote:
> > Anyone know any gotchas, before I leap on to this (entirely
> > hypothetical) machine and knock some security into it?
>
> Other than the fact that are complete pants? ;-)
>
> Um, I think all you need to know is in the /etc/issue.net - you use telnet
> and "we" *MAY* chop off your balls and use them for marbles, oh, and
> dishonour your support contract.

Privately hosted (ie. not with uk2.net, or whoever they are), which is
the thing that tweaked my spider sense about the warrenty. Out of
curiousity, if you're not allowed to telnet into the machine, how are
you supposed to read /etc/issue.net? Is this one of those "By opening
the packet you accept the terms of the warrenty contained within the
packet" jobs?

> Check if they have SSH as a standard option/package/upgrade/widgit on their
> site. That way you may get away with installing SSH and disabling telnet via
> the *LOVELY* web interface without invalidating your warrenty.

They don't. Which is why it looks like it'll need to be done the old
fashioned way.

Cheers,

Simon

--
If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.
		-- Norm Schryer

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk