[Gllug] Email Formats

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 22 17:36:27 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 22 Nov 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
>>On Thursday, 22 Nov 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
>>>Is there any real difference between <b>this<b> and *this*?
>>Yes. The former is physical markup, the latter is logical markup.
>Ok then, what about <em>this</em> and *this*?
>Though I would argue that the distinction between physical and logical
>isn't so clear-cut in this case.

Well, it's not clear-cut at all, because they're both logical
markup. Here the difference is that one requires machine
interpretation and one does not.

>logical meaning. Maybe you could think of <b> to mean "to be spoken
>boldly" of which "bold" text is one particular physical interpretation.

Maybe you could, but you'd be wrong; the W3C HTML 4.01 specification
says "B: Renders as bold text style."

>Do html speakers for the blind emphasise text in <b> </b> markup in some
>way?

Yes, but clearly they are forced to try and do the best they can with
phyical markup.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk