[Gllug] Email Formats

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu Nov 22 17:06:08 UTC 2001

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, David Damerell wrote:

> On Thursday, 22 Nov 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
> >Is there any real difference between <b>this<b> and *this*?
>
> Yes. The former is physical markup, the latter is logical markup.

And the former is designed to be parsed by machine (<b> is one of the
simplest HTML tags - most of the others are hard to hand-parse), while the
latter doesn't need any parsing, at least to my eyes.  It just makes the
text stand out a bit, while <b></b> round some text, particularly if there's
HTML everywhere, doesn't stand out at all to my eyes.

That said, slrn comes setup to emphasize (draw in a different colour) text
written *like this*, which is probably how it should be - the computer
learning how to do stuff the way they user wants it, rather than the other
way round...

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk