[Gllug] Email Formats

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 17:17:52 UTC 2001

> On Thursday, 22 Nov 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
> >Is there any real difference between <b>this<b> and *this*?
>
> Yes. The former is physical markup, the latter is logical markup.

Ok then, what about <em>this</em> and *this*?

Though I would argue that the distinction between physical and logical
isn't so clear-cut in this case.
Bold is used to emphasise text to indicate its importance. Although
conventionally a thickening of the letters is used, you could use some
other way of making <b> stand out which would still convey a similar
logical meaning. Maybe you could think of <b> to mean "to be spoken
boldly" of which "bold" text is one particular physical interpretation.

Do html speakers for the blind emphasise text in <b> </b> markup in some
way?

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk