[Gllug] Potential dodgy hard drive? What to do

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 07:58:34 UTC 2001

On Thu 08 Nov, Peter John Cameron wrote:

> A month ago, I bought an IBM 75GXP Deskstar 76Gb hard drive specifically for
> Suse 7.3. I shopped around on the net to find the cheapest price and amongst
> dabs.com, simply.co.uk and insight.com/uk, the cheapest was Simply. I
> ordered one for home and a smaller drive for work.
>
> Last night, whilst surfing in a moment of boredom, I came across reports of
> the 75GXP 76Gb drives being dodgy, and eventually found myself at
> storagereview.com. I checked the three sites above, and now not one of them
> is now listing the 75GXP drive.
>
> I mentioned this on the Suse list and was advised to buy a new drive.
>
> So, what should I do? The drive cost me 190. I'm intending to phone Simply
> and ask if they have that drive in stock and then ask why they don't sell
> it, and then say I bought one a month ago from them.
>
> Any best approach advise?
>
> Peter

   General rather than specific experience tells me that the larger the
drive capacity the greater the need for adequate cooling of the drive, and
the lower the temperature the longer the problem-free life. Computers
specifically designed as long-life servers have large airflows past the
drives.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk