[Gllug] Potential dodgy hard drive? What to do

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Fri Nov 9 11:53:54 UTC 2001

I used to work for a company that moved large numbers of machines across the
country as POPs for its ISP business. Anyway these beasties were headless,
armless, wheteverless. Plug in a ISDN cable and a satellite feed and it
goes... Very nifty.

Oh yes, and apparently there is/was some problem with the tty drivers when
you plug in 60 - 80 high speed modems through one tty or something. I tried
to get them to release the code back to the community but no dice.

Anyway they had awful problems with dead machines (dying hard discs mostly -
Ah hah! the point!) until they retrofitted the power supplies with
third-party fans (ball-raced little powerhouses that sound like a jet
engine). No problems since. Seems that when the fans died, they took the
hard disc with them.

I might point out that these were the cheapest machines that money could
buy. Where Microsoft is driven by market-share or marketing, this place ran
on $$$$. It seems that one of the places that it's easy to shave off money
is by buying dodgy PSUs and changing over their fans.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk