[Gllug] SULOG

Dean dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Thu Nov 1 18:20:43 UTC 2001

Question for the list, I'm writing some tools for keeping an eye on users
that su from account to account and because it needs to work on HPUX and
Solaris as well as Linux (I'm writing my own so i can tie it in to our
support roster so i know if someone who's not on is playing with the boxen)
i settled on using sulog rather than parsing syslog.

I had a look through Essential System Administration (Excellent book) and
apparently i can set the SULOG variable in the /etc/login.defs to the file
i want the logs written to. I did that and it didn't work.

After a fair amount of searching I've found out about an old bug with this
log and permission 666 but I've not been able to work out if SULOG was
removed as an option from the config because of this. If worst comes to
worst i can work with syslog but it seems a bit over kill when sulog seems
so much simpler.

The man page is pretty much empty and the info page mentions syslog but not
the sulog. Any one got any ideas?

	Dean
PS http://www.eventid.net/ and the top ten searched for Windows error event
id's.
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
   --- Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk