[Gllug] Changing machine's IP address

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Nov 2 14:12:21 UTC 2001

On , 2 Nov 2001, David Irvine wrote:
>Pardon my ignorance, but why can't you just use the monitor and
>keyboard? I'm assuming this is because its in a rack and you  don't have
>a monitor in the rack as well.

Useless for remote access, whereas many colo facilities have a box
with a few dozen serial cables out one side and a network cable in the
other.

>When you say true serial console  functionality, what exactly do you
>mean by  that? Whats the difference between true serial console and
>false serial console modes? What can you achieve in one which you cannot
>achieve in the other?

I would say that a 'true' serial console is supported by the hardware,
so that you can use it to interrogate the BIOS and/or interact with
the bootloader, whereas a 'false' serial console is supported by the
OS, and so if the machine can't boot at all you're stuffed.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk