[Gllug] OT japanese question

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Fri Nov 2 14:25:48 UTC 2001

>[Reformatted; keep lines below 80 characters, please.]

Par is such an indispensable tool :-)

>IME, shipping charges from Japan are very large, such that it's not
>worth buying stuff costing less than 5,000 yen (c. $55) or thereabouts
>at all. It might still be worth it for electronics.

Yes, but sometimes that's the only place you can get stuff. The newer
Toshiba Librettos being a prime example. BTW, if anyone knows where I
can get hold of a Libretto ff1100V, I'd be eternally grateful...

>Bear in mind that HM C&E will try to bone you for about 20% of the
>purchase price given half a chance.

Overall it'll probably work out more than that. When buying good
from abroad, you pay the purchase price plus any local sales taxes
plus shipping. When it arrives in the UK, duty is added to the total
purchase price so far (including shipping costs). VAT is then slapped
on top of the whole lot (including duty), so you're effectively
being taxed on the tax you're already paying. If anyone other than a
government were doing that, they'd have been hounded out of business
long ago...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk