[Gllug] bash startup

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun Nov 4 21:13:05 UTC 2001

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 03:32:12PM -0500, SteveC wrote:
> * Nix (nix at esperi.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 Nov 2001, tet at accucard.com spake:
> > > Laziness is the one defining characteristic of a good Unix admin :-)
> > Certainly I've never needed to use it for anything else.
>
> I often do something like
>
> cat something | grep foo
>
> then hit the up key and add something like
>
> cat something | grep foo | cut -d'b' | sort
>
> or something... which is why I am used to doing it that way
>
> have fun,

I guess using cat in this way is impure :(

personally I find it easer to think in terms of cat...
I have tried using constructs like

>> foo < bar

but I find looking back at shell scripts it is much more legible if I
write

cat bar >> foo

surely it is worth the two extra characters (only 1 extra keypress) for
the sake of clarity.

--

Sean