No Keyboard = No Boot (was: Re: [Gllug] Changing machine's IP address)

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Mon Nov 5 00:08:28 UTC 2001

> > and lost red (permanently).
> >
> really !

fraid so.

> I do this pretty regularly with no problem ...

So did I 'til I popped a monitor.  (pop as in loosing functionality not
POP as in blow up).

> if I am doing something like setting up a machine as a firewall I will
> switch the monitor between this and my workstation ... isn't tis what
> KVM switches do - but without the hassle?

KVM switches do the switching electronically, they use those CMOS
switching chips.  The cheap boxes that use a mechanical switch cause
problems as well, I have had problems with these on Mac's and seen guys
with problems on PC's. I think the problem is that the voltage levels
can be different on the pins between the monitor and PC, I also guess
levels can be higher in those micro seconds that the pins aren't
connected at the same time.  Has been a while since I have been involved
with electronics to explain it properly, I just know it's not a good
thing to do it with the power on for the monitor.  Well you are
decreasing your risk anyway by making sure it is off first.

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk