[Gllug] new railtrack screens

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Nov 14 15:02:01 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 1:10 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, SteveC wrote:
> > Another thing is those screens may have been in a year or so but they are
> > already burnt in, and they are terrible to read in sunlight...
>
> The one's in Paddington are plasma screens - however were having a lot of
> problems until recently because...they've been overheating. Why couldn't
> they just buy good quality backlit LCDs?

They're not all plasma. They have a lot of shortgun CRTs - you can tell
because they're bright, burnt-in and have no visible join. Look at the
announcement boards by the patform entrances for examples, IIRC. They only
use plasma on the main boards overhead in the departure area.

BTW Jon - no backlight on earth is going to work in Paddington. They have
enough problems with visibility as it is; they'd need something really
massive to backlight that amount of LCD, and the heat it would generate would
be tremendous, way more than the current efforts.

I don't know why they don't just use CRTs - cheaper, easier to maintain,
brighter, altogether more excellent.

Cheers,
					Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk