[Gllug] Office software -> c/c++ debate

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Nov 16 15:59:17 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 02:17:14PM -0000, Russell Mackenzie wrote:
> As an asp and vb developer (who wishes he could work with php and python
> instead) with minimal c/c++ skills, how the hell am I supposed to decide
> which I should learn? I've read numerous 'debates' discussing the pros/cons
> of c/c++, these usually get too technical, and I'm no closer to deciding...

Learn C first.  There's so much C code out there it's just an A+ useful
skill.  Then learn a little C++ and see how you like it.  OO programming
is a definite buzz IMO but many feel that C++ is a mess (and C++
compilers even messier).

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill