[Gllug] mail servers / pop3

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 11:07:14 UTC 2001

Just need a few pointers to check I'm going in the right direction.
I've set up a postfix mail server that's sharing a physical machine with
a web server.
I want the machine to be able to email out (this works OK) plus anyone
to be able to send emails in to local users/mail account holders (can't
check this yet because still waiting for DNS entry to come through).

I *don't* want it to accept emails that aren't for local users i.e. like
when I dial up Demon I send my email to their mail server that then
sends it onwards.

How do I shut off incoming emails that aren't for local users? Is it
within postfix or at a lower level?
Presumably emails for local users and emails to be forwarded both come
in on port 25 so a firewall won't help.

If I look to see what ports are open I get 25 but also "submission" and
some other one. Do I just need port 25 open for incoming mail? (Plus
port 110(?) for pop3?)

Also, what recommendations do people have for pop3 servers? I could only
find 3: Cyrus, Courier & Qpopper.
I went for Qpopper because it seemed the simplest and it seems to work
OK, though I couldn't find rpms and had to install from source.

The other thing I'm a bit confused about is the hostname.
If my machine has a hostname of "foo" and a domain of "bar.com" then the
FQDN is "foo.bar.com"
But the webserver is accessed as "www.bar.com" - this is set in apache
virtual hosting I think?
What about other things like "mail.bar.com" or "pop3.bar.com"? Are these
names that can be set in the appropriate application or does it all have
to be foo.bar.com?

I presume big companies have a separate machine for each server so the
web server *is* called "www", the pop3 server called "pop3" etc.

--
Paul Brazier
Cosmos UK

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk