[Gllug] Webcam for 20 quid

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 11:37:47 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-11-12 at 11:02, Anthony Baldwin wrote:
> How many FPS ? at what resolution ?

Product page says 352x288 pixels and up to 30 frames per second

I'm using it with xawtv,
xawtv -debug 1   returns:

size : 8x4 => 180x148

So I guess xawtv runs it at quarter CIF.

I got my camera at Tesco Surrey Quays.
The main drawback I see is that the lens aperture is
very small - so you need a decent light. I guess this
is the same for all cheap webcams.

Next step is to get it running with motion detection.

Cool idea - leave it running with motion detection.
When detected, get the PC to SMS your mobile.
Then put a small grainy image on a WAP site,
so you can watch the burglars ransacking your home.
Hmmmm.... maybe not such a useful thing after all. Grin.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk