[Gllug] RedHat

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Mon Nov 5 14:48:36 UTC 2001

Hi all

I am currently trying to out guess our IT department as to the questions
that they are going to ask when I request the RH box on the network and the
first thing I think that they will ask is about Virus checkers. I know that
99% of virus's for windows will not affect a *nix box (Unless DOS on a
network). Has anyone got any experience of free virus checkers that can be
used on Linux as I do not have any budget to buy anything. I have seen that
McaFee do one and sophos which comes with a free 30 day trial so that could
be good in the short term. I am also going to write up a list of things that
I think that will be requiring answers so that I do not get caught out and
make any half arsed attempts. If that person is still interested in writing
a document on migrating from Windows to Linux then I may have a little
material in the next few weeks from a client perspective.

Virus (Must be protected before I start). ????????????? Under Investigation
Mail (Very important and critical that all existing mail can be
read).?????????????? Under Investigation
Office (Must be compatible with Word, Excel, PowerPoint I am not sure if
there is a Project equivalent) Star Office. I have also had a look at the
Binary Code License that they comes with Star Office and from what I gather
it is completely free for internal use. I find this hard to believe as I was
expecting the normal "free to single user companies have to pay" agreement.
Shares (Must be able to connect and read/write to current shared drives)
This should be easy enough to do (he says)
Web (Connect to internet via Proxy). Just set it up to use a proxy. Unsure
as to how authentication will work but I know this can be done.
Applications (These are all the apps that we use as a business but not
everyone uses these and I know several upgrade windows or *nix clients).

It should be an interesting few weeks. So be prepared for some daft
questions.

Regards;
Harry Jackson.

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk