[Gllug] RedHat

Walid walidshaari at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 10:45:57 UTC 2001

 --- mike <mike at redtux.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Qusetion - how do you corrupt a plain text file?

>From the man page of maildir :
" A machine may crash while it is delivering a message.  For both mbox files
and mh folders this means that the message will be silently truncated.  Even
worse: for mbox format, if the message is truncated in the middle of a line, it
will be
silently joined to the next message.  The mail transport agent will try again
later to deliver the message, but it is unacceptable that a corrupted message
should show up at all. In maildir, every message is guaranteed complete upon
delivery."

and from the manpage of mailbox :

"The locking mechanism used on a particular system is a matter of local policy,
and should be consistently used by all applications installed on the system
which access mbox files. Failure to do so may result in loss of e-mail data,
and in corrupted mbox files."

To correct my poor English, it is not the whole file that might corrupted, but
you might lose/corrupt some which  is still a possibilty, and surely it has
happened.

IMHO I would not putt all the eggs into one basket!

Cheers

Walid

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk